Monday, March 5, 2007

Karnala Fort – Captured

Karnala is a bird sanctuary, about 15 Km from Panvel on the NH 17 (Bombay-Goa Highway). A myriad of birds can bee seen here, albeit with a powerful binocular. The sanctuary is dominated by a fort that’s at a height of about 500 meters. The fort looks like a giant thums-up from the highway. It takes a 3 km steep trek to get up to the fort and steep rocks just short of the fort are a challenge to any avid trekker.

Perhaps someone who’s traveled from afar could put up at the rest house in the Sanctuary. For people who are picnicking – Kamat’s just short of the Sanctuary is a decent place for a snack – and kokum sherbet makes for a nice sip.

Captains Log; Star Date 04032007

Early morning 630 hrs its chilly and I am missing my Bomber Jacket. But it’s a short smooth ride from where I stay. This section of the highway between Panvel and Pen is a biker’s paradise with its smooth asphalt and twisties. I tell myself to slow down just when I hit the Karnala ghat section lest I miss the sanctuary in the excitement of the ride. I look hard on the left for a nondescript ticket booth and a board that proclaims the entrance to the sanctuary.

The air’s fresh and mixed with a cacophony of chirps. I start my climb up to the fort. I can hear a tree rustle somewhere on my right. Guess it’s a langoor. After about half an hour it starts to get steepy. Stop to catch my breath, drink some water and down a Mc’Donald’s burger. Soon I am using my hands to latch on to rocks, roots and trees to haul me up.



This is what really makes the climb worthwhile.



I am going to make it point to get back here in the middle of the monsoons. I am sure it’s going to be nothing short of magical.

2 comments:

. said...

the view from the top is awesome! Im sure it will be better in the monsoons : thats NOW.. may trek up to this place this weekend.

Unknown said...

During the monsoons Karnala is almost completely covered with clouds, giving one an exhilarating experience. Came across something interesting on Karnala at
www.g2bux.com/myaction.do?Vacationspot=169