Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Day 2 - Solo Run – Dapoli – Murud – Harnai - Anjarle.

Captains Log; Star date 18032007

Six in the morning after a nice sleep, I am on the beach. I set up the camera on the tripod and aim towards Harnai. My objective is to capture the lights at Harnai, especially the light house. Change settings for a slower shutter speed, a larger aperture and click. Manage to capture the red dot like light emitted by the light house.


The salubrious breeze calls for a long walk.

Around quarter to seven I can see two boats park on the beach. They are there to give people a boat ride into the sea. Being the adventurous kind I don’t hesitate and jump in for a short solo ride. The boat is pushed out into the waters and is guided further in by a guy on the bow with a long bamboo pole. They watch the waves to make the launch as effortless as possible. But the tide’s rising. A wave comes in hits the bow and lifts it up. As the wave travels to the rear the bow falls, chhhaap!, back into the water. A little deeper waters and the Yamaha outboard motor is made to kick in. The motor sputters to life and effortlessly steers the boat into deeper waters. The sunrise is picture perfect and I get busy with my camera.

To dock the boat back on the beach they turn the bow towards the sea, shut down the engine and wait for the waves to push the boat towards the beach. The guy on the bow gets busy with the pole. A big wave and chhaap! The roller coaster launch and landing makes me feel a little woozy. Designed more for wheels I guess.

I spend the next few hours on the beach.


At around 1000 hrs after a omelet bread breakfast I decide to ride down to Dapoli. Just before Dapoli I see the mile stone point right to Burundi and I turn in to explore. I pass by the Agriculture University. Another few kms and I hit the best kind of twisties I’ve ever seen. The road curves left, right, goes up and down with impunity. If the side for the road isn’t a ‘khai’ it’s lined with mango trees. This place stands out in sharp contrast to Harnai. While Harnai is noisy with its fish auction, this place is sublime owing to its agri tilt.


Burundi is indeed a lovely beach head. Some shots later I am headed back to Dapoli. It’s a small busy town. Pick up some bottles of water and chocolates from a store.

I am back at the resort by lunch time. After lunch I laze under the pine trees that are within the Kamats resort, just short of the beach. A couple of birds (little smaller than myna, green feathers, one straight pointer kind of a tail, extremely agile) are playing cops and robbers I think.

1700 hrs, I want to get RollyPolly out on the beach for a photo shoot against the backdrop of the setting sun. A road on the other side of the Murud Devi temple leads to the beach. The beach end of the road is soft sand and I have to power my way through. On the beach I can feel a slight drag as the wheels turn on the firm sand. Nice cool breeze hitting the face (no AGV), the puttering sound of the bike and slash of the waves on the beach make for a good mix.

As the sun starts to go red, I get busy with my camera


While I am busy clicking, the tides rising. Suddenly a wave comes up and I move back to avoid getting my shoes wet. I realize the camera on the tripod might take a tumble as the water goes back and takes some of the sand with it. Whoops! Even the bike might take a tumble. The bike tumbles.

I gather all my gear pack up and move before things get worse.

At the beach end of the road the sand looks softer. Baaaaammm, the engine stalls and I am stuck. I am now a spectacle for a dozen onlookers. A local on my 3 O’clock can sense 50 bucks I think. I take a deep breath and tug the bike back while astride. 7-8 more heaves later I am on firmer sand. Start the engine, point towards firmer sand, rev the engine, 1st gear, baaaaammmm and I am out.



Head back to Kamats. Need to pack for my long ride back home. The twisty and desolate roads make me wonder if I should really be leaving early. But the thought of being home by about 10 is tempting. I decide to move by 5 am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The green bird with a pointy is likely an Indian Beeater...
http://www.birding.in/birds/Coraciiformes/Meropidae/little_green_bee-eater.htm

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post. Very well written. I am going to dapoli next week. This is sure useful to me.

In the meantime visit my blog too http://unmeshpatil.blogspot.com